Google
 

Friday, May 18, 2007

Gizmo for Nokia N95

Today Nokia announced Gizmo for N80 and N95, which is official software from Nokia a bit like Fring, to enable chatting and VOIP'ing (=performing internet based phone calls) directly from the phone.

I just installed it succesfully. But the first time the installation failed. The reason being that I installed the first of the two necessary installation packages on the microSD Flash instead of directly on the phone.

So; install both packages on the internal phone RAM!

The installation consist of two downloads:

  1. Nokia Internet Services Support Pack (includes something called Phonebook Shutter v1.0)
  2. Gizmo v1.21 for N95

After the installation has completed, Gizmo is available in the programs folder, just as any other third party application.

The first step is to go online, and logon using an existing account, or create a new one (which I did). You can sign up directly from the device, using the web browser. You apply a user name, password times 2, an email address, confirm the license (after reading it offcourse), and clicking a button.

After registration/login, a button let's you have Gizmo to automatically configure your phone for SIP use.

The really nice thing about Gizmo is, that it actually integrated directly into N95's normal contact application (as a new tab), so you don't have to start Gizmo manually, and use it instead of the ordinary dialer.

After installing Gizmo, when you enter a phone number as you normally do from the stand-by screen, you can now choose to dial using the internet instead of normal GSM, so that too is nicely integrated into S60.

The not-so-nice thing about Gizmo is, that it doesn't integrate with Skype, but from the Gizmo Project web site, it looks like it can integrate with Google Talk, Windows Live and Yahoo! Messenger. It's not clear from the installed application, but I'll have to dig into that.

I don't know anybody else using Gizmo, or VOIP, so I haven't tested it yet. And I suppose it's not possible to use Gizmo for calling to land lines or ordinary mobile phones, without some sort of VOIP account.

Until I found out more about Gizmo, I'll still use Fring for outgoing VOIP calls. But now Gizmo has been installed, so I'll definitely look more into it, and let you know when I know more.

If you know a lot about Gizmo, please comment on this post! ^_^

technorati tags:, , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. I use gizmo to call landlines. You need to buy call out credit. It costs around two cents a minute for calls. Great for international calls.

    Do you know if the driver or whatever that first support package that is installed consumes precious and limited operation RAM? The one thing I hate about the N95 is that it's always running out of RAM and shutting down backgrounded apps or just throwing up errors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alrighty-then, GizmoOut. Thanks.

    Regarding the possible RAM issue you mention; I haven't observed that as an issue, now on my 3rd day after installation. I haven't analyzed the RAM usage after installation compared to before, so I don't know if there is a potential issue, but no issue observed until now.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I look forward into hearing your comments/oppinions.